View My Shopping Cart

Medical laboratory Technologists are one of 12 professions covered by this government program

Foreign medical laboratory technologists and medical laboratory scientists  (MTs) who are new emigrants to British Columbia and other Canadian provinces will be one of a select group of professions to have their credentials recognized within one year under a new “fast-track” arrangement developed by the Canadian and provincial governments.

By recognizing the need to fast track medical laboratory scientists, Canada is acknowledging that pathology laboratories and clinical laboratories face a tight labor market. It is welcome recognition of the need for clinical laboratories to operate with a full staff of qualified pathologists, clinical chemists, medical technologists, and other laboratory medicine specialists.

Federal, provincial and territorial governments speed up foreign credential recognition for newcomers to Canada

A total of 15 professions will be included in this fast-track program. For 2010, the program will include medical laboratory technologists plus seven other professions: nurses, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, accountants and financial auditors, architects, and engineers. In 2012, another six professions will become part of the fast-track credentialing program: doctors, dentists, licensed practical nurses, medical radiation technologists, engineering technicians, and teachers for grades K-through-12.

The program is called the “Pan-Canadian Framework for Recognition of Foreign Credentials.” Government officials announced details of the program last month. The goal is to allow foreign professionals to avoid having to work for years in jobs outside their expertise while awaiting recognition of their education and credentials.

When interviewed by the Vancouver Sun, Malcom Ashford, who is Executive Director of the British Columbia Society of Laboratory Science (BCSLS), welcomed the new program and noted one concern. “This new Pan-Canadian framework has the potential to be a good news/bad news story,” stated Ashford. “If it really does speed up prior learning assessments, then that is great. Foreign-trained professionals can be an answer to pending labour shortages. However, if this potential solution becomes a serious problem by lowering standards of practice here in British Columbia, that should be a major concern.” MLTs are not regulated in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territory, Nunavut or The Northwest Territories.

The significant contribution of foreign-born professionals to British Columbia’s healthcare system is illustrated by the nursing profession. Cynthia Johanson who works with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) reports that 5,866 foreign-educated nurses currently work in British Columbia hospitals, a number that increased from 5,569 in 2008. She also noted that CRNBC received 1,170 applications for licensing submitted by registered nurses (RNs) currently working outside of Canada.

Dark Daily observes that this is one additional step on the path to the globalization of healthcare. Like Canada, other developed nations are taking steps to make it easier for foreign-trained health professionals to have their education and credentials recognized. For clinical laboratory and pathology testing, this is an inevitable development, since most medical laboratories around the work offer a similar menu of diagnostic tests and use analyzers and testing systems sold by the major in vitro diagnostics manufacturers.

Related Information:

Province preparing for influx of foreign-educated professionals

Federal-provincial accord will mean fast-tracking of recognition

What is The Dark Report lab intelligence?

20 Responses to “Medical Laboratory Technologists with Foreign Credentials to Get Fast-Track Acceptance in Canada”

1. Dr Zaidi says:

Excellent news!!

2. KENNEDY SICHONE says:

wonderful advancement

3. phillips says:

greetings,
    I’m Phillips I am a medical technologist by profession currently working in Almana Hospital in Saudi Arabia as Medical Technologist for 2 years now. Since my contract will be finishing this July 2011 I plan to take a one in a life time opportunity to work in Canada as medical technologist in any hospitals that is available for my position. I would like to ask for your help where i will start to apply for it. Thank you for your time and God bless you…

Phillips

4. Louella Gulapa says:

hi, im wella, i am a medical technologist here in the philippines for almost 9yrs. at the same time i am a registered nurse. im planning to work abroad, hopefully in canada. let me know how to apply. pls help us. thank you and god bless.

5. Sir/Ma’am,

I’m Chester, I am a registered medical technologist in Philippines and certified as International Medical Technologist by the Board of Certification of ASCP. I graduated last year 2010 and I have a 6 months working experience in Philippines. I plan to work in Canada as Medical Technologist. I would like to know how to apply for it. Is there any certification I need to apply to become a licensed Medical Technologist in Canada? If there’s any please do let me know. Thank you and more power!

6. Mary says:

I’m Mary a registered Med. Tech in the Philippines a certified ASCPi (MT). I have 5 years working experience and planning to work in Canada. I would like to know the procedure and requirements to get a Fast-Track Acceptance in Canada. Thank you and Good Day!

7. DIGNA CRUZ says:

I am Digna Cruz,A registered Med.Tech,HIV Proficient and A DrugTest Analyst,,from the Philippines,I am Now here in Italy for Just 5 months and I am just trying my luck here,but unfortunately I am not practising my profession here.From this news I am very happy and hopeful that I will be given a chance to practice again my profession in Canada because I love this profession….

Thank you so much….and More Power….

8. Olusegun Buhari says:

I am Olusegun, a registered medical lab. scientist in Nigeria. I have 14 years of working experience. I plan to work in Canada as Medical Technologist. Is there any certification I need to apply to become a licensed Medical Technologist in Canada? Please I would like to know and also the procedure and requirements to get a Fast-Track Acceptance in Canada. Thank you.

9. Irene says:

Hi I’m Irene. I am a registered Medical technologist in the Philippines and ASCPi Certificate holder I am currently working here in a Canadian accredited hospital in Saudi Arabia for almost three years. I am looking for better opportunity hopefully in Canada. I am interested for the Fast-Tract Acceptance offered by Canadian Govt. How can I join this program? Please let me know about the procedure. Looking forward to your positive feedback. Thank you and God bless.

10. alonge ivo says:

Hi, I am alonge ivo a registered medical laboratory scientist in Cameroon. I graduaded in 2007 and I have sine then been working.I am much interested in the Fast-Tract Acceptance. Please what does it takes to join. Best regards

11. joseph nicolas says:

GOOd day…im Joseph Nicolas…from Philippines..but now im working in Saudi Arabia as a Registered Laboratory technician.Almost 4 years working here in Saudi arabia..and im trying my luck to work in other country like Canada…Iam Interested to your Fast Track progrma for Medical technologist like us..Pls Let me know..What are the requirements and the procedures..THank you…And GOD BLESS…

12. Gianfranco says:

Hi, I am venezuelan / italian and i have a 5 years degree in Bioanalisys in Venezuela.

Can i be a candidate for this program??

I have almost 10 years of experience in Clinical lab.

13. oladipo isiaka says:

Hi, i am oladipo isiaka,a registered medical laboratory technician in Nigeria practising since april,1994 to date.moreover,recently obtained my Bachelor of medical laboratory science (Haematology/Blood group Serology)and i am much interested in the Fast-Tract Acceptance.Please,what does it takes to fulfil my aspiration.Waiting anxiously for your favurite response.Thanks.

14. Mika says:

I’m Mika a registered Medical Tech in the Philippines and a certified ASCPi (MT). I have 5 years working experience and planning to work in Canada. I would like to know the procedure and requirements to get a Fast-Track Acceptance in Canada. Thank you and more power!

15. Bakari says:

The world is aglobally village,why not the laboratory technologist

Thanks and like this bargaing forum

16. A.V. MARAJH says:

I am a Medical Technologist with 30 years experience, presently working as a Laboratory Manager in South Africa. I have 2 degrees – A BSc degree and a Bachelor of Biomedical Technology degree. I am also in possession of 2 Business Mangement certificates from the University of South Africa (UNISA.
    I would love to work in Canada.

Kind regards

A.V. MARAJH

17. Ikpegbu Eberechi says:

Iam a qualified Medical Laboratory Technician with 10 years experience, working in Federal specialist diagnostic center in one of the states in my country Nigeria. A member of the Qualified Medical Laboratory Technicians Association of Nigeria. I would like to know the procedure/requirement for a fast- track acceptance in Canada. Thanks.

18. Violeta says:

I am Medical doctor clinical Biochemist from Macedonia. What are my occupational requirements to get a medical laboratory job, or research job, or teaching biochemistry, or in pharmaceutical company etc. in Canada. Would my credential recognition help or Do I need certification to get a job in Canada?

19. Aileen says:

Sir/Maan:

Greetings!
    I’m Aileen, a registered medical technologist in the Philippines and currently working in a tertiary hospital in our country for more than 5 years now. I plan to work in Canada specifically in Manitoba as Medical Laboratory Technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician. I would like to know how to apply for it. And what are the certification requirements if there’s any? Is there a certification offered outside Canada? Hoping to receive a quick response. Thanks.

20. MIRAVIC SALVADOR says:

I was a MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST for 4 YEARS at the LUNG CENTER OF THE PHILIPPINES. I already took the “IELTS” last year and got a band score of 7.0

WHAT ARE THE PROCESS THAT I SHOULD TAKE TO FAST- TRACK THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS.. THANK YOU!